Wednesday 21 September 2011

Losi TLR22 2wd Buggy . . . The Build (Part 2)

Suitably refreshed I ventured back into the shed to crack on with the build.

Next on the list was the gearbox assembly.
This is significantly different for the mid and rear mounted motor variants.
Alot of racers are using ceramics in the diff, I decided to build it to kit spec and see how it holds up.
I gently sanded the diff rings with some wet and dry then assembled using the included silicone grease. The end result is silky smooth, at least on the bench, we'll see how it lasts in the heat of battle!

Tip: Don't forget to run your diff in before using in anger, run gently then readjust, it's easy to damage a diff with excessive slip when new.

Assembly is straightforward enough, all the gears run on beefy shafts with what appear to be decent bearings.

Tip: I used a precautionary dab of threadlock on the long bolts that secure the alloy motor plate.


The gearbox case for the different layouts can be seen here, mid motor above rear motor.
It all mounts neatly to the rear bulkhead. Shame about the ugly white spur gear.


The shocks were next, these really are beauties. I have seen quite a few 22s for sale without shocks, now I know why.
They are of the big bore variety and boast coated shafts, alloy bodies and alloy caps.
I have read elsewhere that they can be a little leaky but I guess this is nothing that can't be solved with some alternative orings. I suppose it depends how much you enjoy shock maintenance, 'not so much' I hear you shout! They ceratinly go together very nicely and it was easy to achieve repeatable rebound with each shock.

Tip: When assembling use a little grease on the shaft threads to help them pass through the orings without damage.
Tip: A littlle green slime on the orings will help prevent leakage.

Losi include a handy shock assembly tool making it easy to snug everything up, even with oily fingers.


All that remained was to bolt the shocks to the chassis.
I think the end result looks pretty cool, the beefy shocks and narrow alloy chassis making the car look minimalist but purposeful.
 Losi claim it is possible to switch from one layout to another trackside. Having now built the car I reckon this would be a nightmare and wouldn't try it myself.


So love it or hate it, there are plenty in both camps, here it is. As of now my opinion lies somewhere in the middle.

I will be painting up a bodyshell and installing some electrics over the next few days.
Visit again soon to see my wiring and painting either of which could be a spectacular success or indeed failiure but certainly worth taking a look at.

Feel free to express your opinions through the comments link/box at the end of the post.

No comments:

Post a Comment