Thursday 18 October 2012

Associated TC6 . . . I feel the need for speed!

Over the summer my Mi4 has been set up for 17.5 blinky racing at my local club Adur.
This has been fun and makes for some great close racing. It certainly forces one to be clean and tidy as the smallest mistake can be the difference between winning and coming nowhere.

Despite enjoying this I have found myself hankering after the thrill of extra speed.
The quickest class that is run regularly at Adur is 13.5 boosted. I have run in this class in the past and enjoyed it so have decided to put together a new ride and once again mix it in the tyre munching boosted class.

As the class seems to be gaining popularity around the clubs I didn't want to sacrifice my 17.5 blinky car, which is top fun.  The only option was to add yet another chassis to the Pipski man cave!

Much as I love my Mi4 funds would not allow the extravagance of a brand new Mi4CXL so I had to settle for a pre-loved car. I held out for a Schuie but nothing came up, eventually I spotted a tidy looking TC6 on Oople available at a reasonable price so I raided the RC fund and made it mine.   



I gave it a once over and all seemed well so I plundered the pit box for some electrics.
I found a HW v2 speedo, a Tekin Redline motor and a decent Sanwa servo so in they went ready for a shakedown.

I'm not sure how competitive this kit is these days and I would like to get as close to the pace as my limited talent will allow.

In order to facilitate my lofty ambitions I picked up a couple of alternatives to try.

I have always fancied a Tekin esc, they always look pretty fast hooked up to the X12 motors, so I got both . . .
A Tekin RS, which should be fine for stock, and the Nosram version of the X12 motor.


I have heard the people describe the Tekin as aggressive but have read that the latest Vegas 223 software helps in this respect. (Suggested set ups welcome)
If it proves a little too much for me I have also got myself a another GM90 (I didn't want to remove the one in my SX2).
I have done the research and have found a few suggestions to help avoid the stalling issue for which these speedos are infamous, a little forward trim on the throttle seems favourite.
I have run a GM90 in the Mi4 in the past and found it to be smooth and fast.
If only I were the same!


So you don't need to be a fortune teller to see what my immediate future holds . . .  much testing and soldering.

I remain purple at heart but surely it can't hurt to try a bit of blue?

Pop back to find out how I get on.

No comments:

Post a Comment