Wednesday 9 May 2012

Serpent 966 Evo . . . Ready to rip.

Regular visitors will know that I recently got myself a Serpent 966 Evo with the intention of going 1/8 circuit racing.
After an extensive rebuild I have finally gotten around to fitting some electrics and an engine.


In the end I opted to use an engine that I already have, an SH PT21XT2-P8 with exiting gasses being disposed of by a matched SH pipe set.
This is a relatively mild engine and, at £200, not too expensive. That said it is still plenty powerful enough to get me into all sorts of bother! It will be quick enough to hold its own at Adur club meetings but will, I suspect, be a little out of its depth at national meetings.


I rummaged in my spares box and dug out a couple of Futaba servos. A digital S9451 for steering duties and an analogue S9402 for throttle/brake. I have previously used this combo in 1/10 gas cars to good effect and am sure they will be up to the job in this bad boy. 


I have stocked up on some fat rubber in 32 and 35 shore.


I had intended to give this car a couple of outings at Adur in the run up to the national meeting on the 12th /13th of May. The good old British weather has put paid to that, undeterred nevertheless if the sun does put his hat on I intend to be present on the 12th ready for a full day of testing/practice.
The extent of my ambition for the weekend will be merely to finish, if I manage this with minimum embarassment I will be a happy camper.


Getting ready to burn some Byron 25, ahh the sweet smell of nitro.

 

If you are anywhere near Adur RC club on May 12th or 13th get along and watch open mouthed as some of the best drivers in the UK, possibly the world, unleash their cars in the RC equivalent of F1.

Oh and I'll be there wobbling around near the back!

No comments:

Post a Comment